Sunday, February 8, 2009

Workout for Saturday, 2/7/09

Hello everyone!

So last Friday on Twitter, one of my Tweeps (Twitter peeps, or friends), DFitnessguy (who has a lot of great information, if you are on Twitter, I highly recommend following him) posted a site with a circuit workout used by MMA (mixed martial arts) fighters and people who want to train like an MMA fighter. I checked it out and decided that I would try it on Saturday. (It is listed below) I figured I am in good shape and it would be a great test for myself. So I was all set, I would get up Saturday do this circuit.
Saturday morning, I got up, started getting ready for the gym making sure I had everything, my towel, water, workout drink, mp3 player... and my journal. Before I left, I decided to write up my workout. (Which is something I usually do right before I start working out.) I grabbed the sheet I printed out to copy the circuit down and that's when I saw it. Those little words.... "After your workout, do the following..."

AFTER my workout! What? This circuit looked good enough for a workout in itself. But, because it said after my workout I decided to throw in a shoulder workout. The circuit was mostly legs, so I figured this wouldn't be as bad then. After I was done... I was D O N E - done! My legs were still shaking when I got home. And I even cut the last part of the circuit short.

So here is my workout, followed by the circuit as prescribed and what I ended up doing.


Triplex one:
Do 3 rounds of:
Seated DB shoulder press - 8 reps
Standing barbell curl - 15 reps
Plank - 30 secs

Triplex two:
Do 3 rounds of:
Standing Alternating DB Shoulder Press - 8 each arm
Superman - 12 reps
Hanging Leg side-to-side raises - 10 each side

Shoulder Matrix:
3 rounds of:
Front delt raise - 8 reps
Side Delt Raise - 8 reps
Bent over Rear delt raise - 8 reps
Upright rows (high pulls) - 8 reps
Alt shoulder press burnouts - 10+ reps each arm

Finish with Shrugs - 3 sets of 10

THE CIRCUIT
As prescribed:
Do 2 rounds with a 2 minute rest in between of:

20 air squats
20 split squats
20 squat jumps
20 split squat jumps
6 burpees
Then go right to the tread mill and putting incline at 15%, and speed between 6.0 - 8.0, sprint for 20 seconds, jump off to side rails for 10 seconds. Repeat 8 times (total time equals 4:00)

I did the first two rounds with the squats and jumps. My legs felt very full. I had done something very similar to the treadmill part so I didn't think it would be that big of deal. Except I had done it at 10%, not 15% and faster that 8.0, but with fresh legs.

My first 20 sec.. was tough but doable. Second was tougher. Third I almost passed out. So started resting 15 seconds and running only 15 seconds. That got me 3 more rounds and I ended it a minute early. AS I stepped off the treadmill, my leg almost gave out and I almost fell. Funniest home videos here I come... almost.

So enjoy this one... it is a fun one... a tough one... and a great test of just how fit you are at this moment.

Make it a great day!

Rob Crenshaw,
The Fitness Buff.

No comments: