Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Workout for Wednesday, 2/4/09

OK, today's was another killer. In fact, at the end I put down the weights and said to myself, "I'm dead!" Then my mp3 player started playing a song from the 300 movie soundtrack entitled "The King Dies." Hows' that for timing?

Today's workout was focused on the back and bi-ceps, but it was another high calorie burning session. Drinking my protein smoothie right now so I can recover faster and be ready for tonight's training sessions.

Here's the workout...

First circuit:
3 Rounds of:
Reverse Grip Weighted Pull ups - 5,4,3 reps
Wide Grip Weighted Pull ups - 5,4,3 reps
Hammer Grip Weighted Pull ups - 3,3,2 reps
Single Leg Cable Deadlift/Row with opp arm - 10 reps each side
DB Swing - 15 reps
V-sit with med ball twist - 20 reps

Second Quadplex:
3 rounds of:
Machine Seated Rows - 10 reps
Machine Rear Delt - 8 reps
Mt. Climbers - 10 reps
Bar Roll outs - 8 reps

Third Quadplex:
3 rounds of:
DB Row - 8 reps each arm
Push up with feet on fit ball - 20 reps
Fit ball back extension - 10 reps
Tree Chops - 10 reps each side

Finished with Incline DB curls (for aesthetics mainly to build outer head of bi-cep.)


I took 5 second rest in between the 3 weighted pull up variations. Then after that, I took only enough rest as needed.

The bar roll out is like using the ab wheel, but because I didn't have one, I put two 10's on a straight curl bar. Not only does this engage the core and the abs, it brought in the lats again as well. I would start on my knees with my hands on the bar just wider than shoulder width. Keeping my hips inline with my shoulders and knees (meaning there was a straight line from my knee, through my hips to my shoulder), I pushed the bar out as far as I could. I was able to go practically horizontal to the floor. Then doing a partial crunch to engage the abs even more, I would then pull the bar back keeping my hips in line with my shoulders and knees again.



I hope you enjoy this workout. If you need to scale it back you can by using a chin assist machine for the pull-ups. You could also use a fit ball for the roll outs as well.

Make it a great day!

Rob Crenshaw
The Fitness Buff

No comments: